Reading the many news articles, blogs and social media posts on the Supreme Court decision brought a variety of view points. I agreed with some, disagreed with others and wasn’t sure what to do with more than a few.
Here is the post I enjoyed the most from Carey Nieuwhof: Some Advice on Same-Sex Marriage for US Church Leaders From a Canadian. It doesn’t solve anything but it helps my heart.
Here is some of what I needed to read:
- The Church in Canada has been dealing with this issue for 10 years.
- Regardless of your theological position, all your views as a Christian are counter-cultural and always will be. And that’s when the Church is at our best.
- It’s actually strange to ask non-Christians to hold Christian values.
- If you believe gay marriage is not God’s design, you’re really dealing with the same issue you’ve been dealing with all along—sex outside of its God-given context. You don’t need to treat it any differently.
- Judgment is a terrible evangelism strategy. People don’t line up to be judged. Instead, they flee.
This post has much more to say and says it better than my summary ever could. I encourage you to take a minute to click over to hear from a Pastor who has walked this path ahead of you.
photo credit: Carey Niewhof Blog